The School

In 1909, the first school opened in an old white house across the Allandale Creek, and ran there until the new school, built on land donated by James Wilson of Allandale Station, opened in 1911.

The Allandale School was also attended by children from Skipton, Raincliff and Trentham.

The necessity for providing transport to permit pupils to gain their Secondary education appears to be the main reason for the closing of the smaller schools in the districts surrounding Fairlie. Allandale School was the first to close in 1939.

 

Community Hall

The school was a centre for the Home Guard during WWII. An extension was added to the school in 1945. It was then used as the community hall.

The Allandale Miniature Rifle Club, formed in 1944, made use of the Allandale Hall and the Allandale Country Women's Institute held its meetings in the school, and it continued to do so on a regular basis into the 1980's.

It was a centre for all manner of dances and socials and various clubs - YFC, WDFF and also a polling booth every 3 years. In later years it stood as a sad relic, used perhaps once a year for the annual visit of Father Christmas.

Renovations

Keith and Alison Hatton purchased the hall in 2003 and lovingly and painstakingly restored it, with the help of family and friends, to operate as a bed and breakfast.  It was renamed Allandale Lodge.

 

Historic Features

Rimu floors

Tongue and groove ceiling

Tongue and groove walls

Brick chimney

Wooden sash windows

From being opened in 1911 as Allandale School, the hall has served the community for many years and was a centre for all to meet and hold community events.

It gradually fell into a shabby state and was saved by Alison and Keith Hatton.